Welcome to my garden blog, being a novice ive made so many mistakes but im learning all the time, having fun and slowly becoming proud of my hippy self :)

Thursday 29 December 2011

May 2011

May and its beautifully warm, horah!
When collecting eggs this morning, I came across a huge one, Ouch! that must have been really painful, at first I was delighted but then thought about the strain that poor little chook had to go through.  I suppose that's what my mum felt like, she is so tiny, petite, not a bit above 5 ft and I was an 8lb baby, yikes!

I have decided to try making wine and bought a wine kit "Young Elderflower", after following the instructions and letting it ferment I racked it off (meaning syphoned from one demijohn to another to rid it of sediment. and finally after a second racking bottled it into sterilised recycled bottles. It already tastes wonderful! but will leave it for another few months.

May brings the month of Elder flowers

Elder flowers here I come....... have you ever seen such a beautiful sight, real magic for the kitchen, first the flowers then the berries..... cant wait!
So most of the neighbours now think I'm a loony!!! do I care? not a bit! So there I was with carrier bags in hand and a small pair of scissors, I've had old ladies looking out of their windows wondering what the hell I'm up to and groups of young boys on their way home from school calling me a vandal? Me? what do they know.....so I've managed to get a couple of bags full, not bad for my first day.
On my return home I've made some Elderflower cordial, recipe from Pam Corbin's preserves book and some elderflower champagne, I managed to get a good recipe from a work colleagues mad aunt! no madder than me.
Managed to find some demijohns in second hand shops, I had purchased the first couple, wow its all working out rather expensive.
Found a park near to my local Aldi store where I discovered an abundance of Elders, came home with about 5 bags, have measured them into pints sizes, bagged and frozen to use during the next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment