Welcome to my garden blog, being a novice ive made so many mistakes but im learning all the time, having fun and slowly becoming proud of my hippy self :)

Thursday 2 February 2012

August 2011

August is definately the month of forraging! As long as not on private property but hanging over onto public pathway it is permitted for personal use, not for resale! or in public parks or woodlands?
Well so far in my borough I have located several fruit bushes and trees, all that fruit going to waste, but of course I leave plenty for the birds and insects!
So far I have found elderflowers, then elderberries, blackberries, mirabelle plums, scarlet mirabelles, sloes, rosehips, damsons, hazelnuts, haws, crab apples, pears and plums, what a collection. Many I have turned into jams and some stored in the freezer for future use.

Mirabelle Jam


  • 1 kg sugar
  • 2 kg plums
Add a little water and bring to the boil, sieve to remove the stones or this can be done prior to cooking.
Bring back to the boil and add the sugar, stirring until dissolved.
Bring to a hard boil, then jar.


No comments:

Post a Comment