Welcome to my garden blog, being a novice ive made so many mistakes but im learning all the time, having fun and slowly becoming proud of my hippy self :)

Thursday 6 January 2011

December 2010

Ok so i have cannibals in the garden, i am starting to think that chooks really are a descendant of the dinosaurs! Poor Specky has been bullied again and her bum is red raw, separated from the others, brought some violet spray, apparently heals and covers the sight of blood and stop the others from pecking her, well see.
I have discovered the bad girl is Rocky (as i have named her) she has gone mad....little bitch, constantly plucks feathers from all of the others, i tried poking her with a stick, you know as the dog whisperer gives a bite mimicking another dog, thought she might realise I am the pack leader. yes i know I'm mad....
I now have more chick manure than i can handle, phone my local allotments to see if they would like it, the man from delmonte say YES. his name actually is Derek.
I have now found names for all the chooks:
Becky, Specky, Rocky, Ginger, Suzi, Quatro, Amber, Maggie and Bluebell.
Louri said we eat less eggs now than before we got the girls, I've been selling eggs to friends and clients at work, his suggestion, that way the girls earn their keep and it pays for their food, good idea i thought. So he has suggested we get some more chooks, like i need any persuading?
Its amazing how much these girls grow on you, i now find that I am missing them, I leave them in the morning and by the time I get home at night, they are already tucked up in bed, don't get to see them at all it seems.
27.12.10 Today we picked up 4 more chooks, it was dark by the time we got home so put them straight to bed.
They all seemed fine in the morning, so we went out Xmas shopping.
To my horror, on our return I found one of the new girls dead in the run, they had pecked her so badly she collapsed under a hanging feeder, I cant understand how they can do this to each other, I was really shocked.  Three days later I found another new chook dead in the coop when I let them out in the morning!  I will never again introduce new chickens to the group again, I know its mother nature and how it would be in the wild but its hard to stomach.
All in all, not a good December either!
Here's looking forward to a better 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment